- 1 English
- 2 Danish
- 3 French
- 4 Swedish
This page has 14 definitions of institution with English translations in 4 languages. Institution is a noun. Examples of how to use institution in a sentence are shown. Also define these 45 related words and terms: custom, practice, society, community, marriage, organization, similarly, long, establish, respect, particularly, one, involve, education, public service, charity, work, building, house, such, other, place, business, clip joint, person, position, field, any old, act, instituting, something, Christianity, bishop, commit, cure, soul, priest, institute, instruct, textbook, system, element, rule, institution, and department.
English institution definition
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌɪnstɪˈtjuːʃən/, /ˌɪnstɪˈtʃuːʃən/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˌɪnstɪˈtuːʃən/
Audio (US) (file)
- A custom or practice of a society or community.
- The institution of marriage is present in many cultures but its details vary widely across them.
- An organization similarly long established and respected, particularly one involved with education, public service, or charity work.
- The University of the South Pacific is the only internationally-accredited institution of higher education in Oceania.
Public Service definitionA service performed for the public good, especially by a nonprofit organization but sometimes also provided by a for-profit enterprise or a trade association. (1 of 4 public service definitions)
Charity definitionAn organization, the objective of which is to carry out a charitable purpose. (1 of 5 charity definitions)
- The building or buildings which house such an organization.
- He's been in an institution since the crash.
Such definitionLike this, that, these, those; used to make a comparison with something implied by context. (1 of 4 such definitions)
- (informal) Other places or businesses similarly long established and respected.
- Over time, the local pub has become something of an institution.
- 2009 February 19, Gareth Lewis, Southern Daily Echo:
- "They have turned a great old English institution into a shameful clip-joint. It's a shuddering, howling tragedy."
- (informal) A person similarly long established in a place, position, or field.
- She's not just any old scholar; she is an institution.
- The act of instituting something.
- The institution of higher speed limits was a popular move but increased the severity of crashes.
- 1894, James George Frazer, The Golden Bough:
- Accordingly if we can show that a barbarous custom, like that of the priesthood of Nemi, has existed elsewhere; if we can detect the motives which led to its institution; if we can prove that these motives have operated widely, perhaps universally, in human society...
- (Christianity) The act by which a bishop commits a cure of souls to a priest.
Bishop definitionAn overseer of congregations: either any such overseer, generally speaking, or (in Eastern Orthodoxy, Catholicism, Anglicanism, etc.) an official in the church hierarchy (actively or nominally) governing a diocese, supervising the church's priests, deacons, and property in its territory. bishop definitions)
- (obsolete) That which institutes or instructs, particularly a textbook or system of elements or rules.
- institution at OneLook Dictionary Search
- institution in Keywords for Today: A 21st Century Vocabulary, edited by The Keywords Project, Colin MacCabe, Holly Yanacek, 2018.
- "institution" in Raymond Williams, Keywords (revised), 1983, Fontana Press, page 168.
- institution in The Century Dictionary, New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911.
- institution in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.
Danish institution definition
French institution definition
institution f (plural institutions)
- “institution” in Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
Swedish institution definition
- an institution (an established organization)
- an institution (a habit)
- an institution (a person)
- a department (at a university)
- datavetenskapliga institutionen
- department of computer science
- institutionen för fysik
- department of physics
- datavetenskapliga institutionen
|Declension of institution|