This page has 8 definitions of infection with English translations in 4 languages. Infection is a noun. Also define these 10 related words and terms: pathology, infect, microorganisms, host, suppuration, infection, stench, stink, puanteur, and pestilence.
English infection definition
- (pathology) The act or process of infecting.
- An uncontrolled growth of harmful microorganisms in a host.
- 2013 June 1, “A better waterworks”, in The Economist, volume 407, number 8838, page 5 (Technology Quarterly):
- An artificial kidney these days still means a refrigerator-sized dialysis machine. Such devices mimic […] real kidneys […] . But they are nothing like as efficient, and can cause bleeding, clotting and infection—not to mention inconvenience for patients, who typically need to be hooked up to one three times a week for hours at a time.
Microorganisms definitionplural of
- A disease caused by a pathogen.
- A visible sign of such a disease, such as the suppuration of a wound.
- spurious infection
French infection definition
infection f (plural infections)
- (pathology) infection
- (informal) stench, stink
Puanteur definitionstench; stink
- → Turkish: enfeksiyon
- “infection” in Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
Interlingua infection definition
infection (plural infectiones)
Old French infection definition
Borrowed from Latin *infectiō.