This page has 6 definitions of importance in English and French. Importance is a noun. Also define these 11 related words and terms: quality, condition, important, worthy, note, significance, prominence, personal, status, standing, and importance.
English importance definition
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ɪmˈpɔːtəns/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ɪmˈpɔɹtəns/, [-ʔn̩s]
Audio (US) (file)
- The quality or condition of being important or worthy of note.
Note definitionA symbol or annotation.
- A mark or token by which a thing may be known; a visible sign; a character; a distinctive mark or feature; a characteristic quality.
- A mark, or sign, made to call attention, to point out something to notice, or the like; a sign, or token, proving or giving evidence.
- A brief remark; a marginal comment or explanation; hence, an annotation on a text or author; a comment; a critical, explanatory, or illustrative observation.
- significance or prominence.
- personal status or standing.
Personal definitionPertaining to human beings as distinct from things. (1 of 6 personal definitions)
- Something of importance.
- 1895, Kenneth Graham, The Golden Age, London, page 5:
- It was incessant matter for amazement how these Olympians would talk over our heads - during meals, for instance - of this or the other social or political inanity, under the delusion that these pale phantasms of reality were among the importances of life.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Dictionary:Entry layout § Translations.
French importance definition
importance f (plural importances)
- “importance” in Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).