This page has 7 definitions of heavyweight in English. Heavyweight is a noun and adjective. Examples of how to use heavyweight in a sentence are shown. Also define these 12 related words and terms: large, heavy, impressive, professional, boxing, weight class, boxer, weighing, contestant, leader, field, and important.
heavyweight (plural heavyweights)
- A very large, heavy, or impressive person.
- an intellectual heavyweight
- 2011 Allen Gregory, "Pilot" (season 1, episode 1):
- Allen Gregory DeLongpre: Who's he?
- Patrick: He's only the most popular kid in school.
- Allen Gregory: Ah, the two heavyweights finally meet. Sure you're tired of all the buzz. Allen Gregory DeLongpre.
- Joel Zadak: Joel...Zadak!
Impressive definitionMaking, or tending to make, a positive impression; having power to impress (1 of 3 impressive definitions)
- (uncountable) The professional boxing weight class for boxers weighing more than 190 pounds; a boxer in that division.
Weight Class definitionA division of competition used to match competitors against others of their own weight
- (uncountable) A similar division and contestant in other sports.
heavyweight (not comparable)
- Of the heavyweight boxing (or similar) division.
- Being relatively heavy.
- Being a leader in one's field.
- Important or impressive.
- 2021 February 9, Christina Newland, “Is Tom Hanks part of a dying breed of genuine movie stars?”, in BBC:
- In recent years, much has been made of the lack of new heavyweight male star power in mainstream Hollywood. Talented performers may be everywhere, but Movie Stars, capital M, capital S, are something else.