This page has 7 definitions of enterprise in English. Enterprise is a noun and verb. Examples of how to use enterprise in a sentence are shown. Also define these 0 related words and terms: .
From Old French via Middle English and Middle French entreprise, feminine past participle of entreprendre (“to undertake”), from entre (“in between”) + prendre (“to take”), from Latin inter + prehendō, see prehensile.
- A company, business, organization, or other purposeful endeavor.
- The government sponsored enterprises (GSEs) are a group of financial services corporations which have been created by the United States Congress.
- A micro-enterprise is defined as a business having 5 or fewer employees and a low seed capital.
- An undertaking, venture, or project, especially a daring and courageous one.
- Biosphere 2 was a scientific enterprise aimed at the exploration of the complex web of interactions within life systems.
- (uncountable) A willingness to undertake new or risky projects; energy and initiative.
- He has shown great enterprise throughout his early career.
- 1954, Philip Larkin, Continuing to Live
- This loss of interest, hair, and enterprise — / Ah, if the game were poker, yes, / You might discard them, draw a full house! / But it's chess.
- (uncountable) Active participation in projects. (Can we add an example for this sense?)
- commercial enterprise
- scientific enterprise
- (intransitive) To undertake an enterprise, or something hazardous or difficult.
- 1733-1738, Alexander Pope, Imitations of Horace:
- Charles Mordaunt Earl of Peterborow […] , with only 280 horse and 950 foot , enterprised and accomplished the Conquest of Valentia
- (transitive) To undertake; to begin and attempt to perform; to venture upon.
- (transitive) To treat with hospitality; to entertain.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
(See the entry for enterprise in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.)
- enterprise at OneLook Dictionary Search
- enterprise in Keywords for Today: A 21st Century Vocabulary, edited by The Keywords Project, Colin MacCabe, Holly Yanacek, 2018.
- enterprise in The Century Dictionary, New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911.