This page has 5 definitions of elfin in English and Dutch, Flemish. Elfin is a noun and adjective. Also define these 8 related words and terms: elf, urchin, child, butterfly, subgenus, lycaenid, genus, and female.
elfin (plural elfins)
- An elf; an inhabitant of fairy-land.
- A little urchin or child.
- Any of the butterflies in the subgenus Incisalia of the North American lycaenid genus Callophrys.
Butterfly definition(1 of 7 butterfly definitions)
Subgenus definitionA subdivision of a genus.
- Relating to or resembling an elf or elves, especially in its tiny size or features.
- 1914, Louis Joseph Vance, “Anarchy”, in Nobody, New York, N.Y.: George H[enry] Doran Company, published 1915, OCLC 40817384, page 33:
- Three chairs of the steamer type, all maimed, comprised the furniture of this roof-garden, with […] on one of the copings a row of four red clay flower-pots filled with sun-baked dust from which gnarled and rusty stalks thrust themselves up like withered elfin limbs.
- 2012 May 24, Nathan Rabin, “Film: Reviews: Men In Black 3”, in The Onion AV Club:
- He’s forced to travel back to 1969 to prevent an evil alien (a shockingly effective, nearly unrecognizable Jemaine Clement of Flight Of The Conchords, playing sort of a psychotic extraterrestrial-biker serial killer) from destroying the world by killing Brolin. Smith is aided in his quest by an elfin, time-jumping alien with psychic powers played by another Coen brothers veteran, A Serious Man star Michael Stuhlbarg.