This page has 3 definitions of contentment in English. Contentment is a noun. Also define these 5 related words and terms: contented, happiness, situation, satisfaction, and neurophysiological.
- The state or degree of being contented or satisfied.
- 1620, Giovanni Bocaccio, John Florio, transl., The Decameron, Containing an Hundred Pleaſant Nouels: Wittily Diſcourſed, Betweene Seuen Honourable Ladies, and Three Noble Gentlemen, Isaac Iaggard, Nouell 8, The Eighth Day:
- […] purſued his vnneighbourly purpoſe in ſuch ſort: that hee being the ſtronger perſwader, and ſhe (belike) too credulous in beleeuing or elſe ouer-feeble in reſiſting, from priuate imparlance, they fell to action; and continued their cloſe fight a long while together, vnſeene and vvithout ſuſpition, no doubt to their equall ioy and contentment.
- 1908, Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows
- Then they got out their boat from the boat-house, sculled down the river home, and at a very late hour sat down to supper in their own cosy riverside parlour, to the Rat's great joy and contentment.
Contented definitionsimple past tense and past participle of
- happiness in one's situation; satisfaction
- The neurophysiological experience of satisfaction and being at ease in one's situation, body, and/or mind.
Neurophysiological definitionOf or pertaining to neurophysiology.
state or degree of being contented