- 1 English
- 2 Dutch
- 3 French
- 4 Italian
- 5 Norwegian Bokmål
- 6 Norwegian Nynorsk
- 7 Portuguese
- 8 Spanish
- 9 Swedish
This page has 17 definitions of container with English translations in 8 languages. Container is a noun. Also define these 24 related words and terms: contain, store, transport, shipping container, ISO, computing, file format, abstract data type, graphical user interface, user interface, component, child, operating system, application, dependency, sandbox, virtualize, environment, cargo, dumpster, recycling bin, conteneur, contêiner, and contenedor.
English container definition
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /kənˈteɪnə/
Audio (Southern England) (file)
- (General American) IPA(key): /kənˈteɪnɚ/
- Rhymes: -eɪnə(r)
container (plural containers)
- Someone who contains; something that contains.
- An item in which objects, materials or data can be stored or transported.
- Synonyms: see Thesaurus:container
- (transport) A very large, typically metal, box used for transporting goods.
- Synonyms: cargo container, shipping container
- 1963 April, “Beyond the Channel: France: Freight stock of the future”, in Modern Railways, page 269:
- Will container development merely bring about a substitution for the body of the covered wagon? Probably not, in his view, but he believes that the size and tonnage of the container are likely to increase pari passu with the lifting capacity of handling appliances.
- 2020 May 20, Industry Insider, “An online boost for freight”, in Rail, page 68:
- The specifiers of the Freightliner network had the foresight to base the rail journey on carrying ISO containers which are 8ft wide and originally 8ft tall (although now increased to a height of 9ft 6ins), with a variety of lengths.
Iso definitionInternational Organization for Standardization
- (by extension) Someone who holds people in their seats or in a (reasonably) calm state.
- (computing) A file format that can hold various types of data.
- Synonym: container format
- 2011, Cory Altheide; Harlan Carvey, Digital Forensics with Open Source Tools, page 187:
- As the MP4 container can store audio, video, or both, the M4A naming and file extension is used to hint that this MP4 container holds solely audio information.
- (object-oriented programming) An abstract data type whose instances are collections of other objects.
Abstract Data Type definitionA data type defined only by data properties and operations to be performed on the data without any specification as to how the data will be represented or the operations performed.
- (computing, graphical user interface) Any user interface component that can hold further (child) components.
- (computing) A bundle consisting of operating system, application code and dependencies to be run sandboxed inside a virtualized environment; (by extension) the environment itself.
- Synonym: software container
Dependency definitionA state of dependence; a refusal to exercise initiative. (1 of 6 dependency definitions)
Environment definitionThe surroundings of, and influences on, a particular item of interest. (1 of 7 environment definitions)
Dutch container definition
- cargo container
- Synonym: vrachtcontainer
- dumpster or domestic recycling bin, large waste container
- Synonyms: afvalcontainer, vuilcontainer
Recycling Bin definitionA recycle bin.
French container definition
container f (plural containers)
- “container” in Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
Italian container definition
container m (invariable)
- container in Treccani.it – Vocabolario Treccani on line, Istituto dell'Enciclopedia Italiana
Norwegian Bokmål container definition
- “container” in The Bokmål Dictionary.
Norwegian Nynorsk container definition
- “container” in The Nynorsk Dictionary.
Portuguese container definition
container m (plural containers)
- Alternative spelling of
Contêiner definitioncontainer (a very large, typically metal, box used for transporting goods)
Spanish container definition
container m (plural containers)
- “container” in Diccionario de la lengua española, Vigésima tercera edición, Real Academia Española, 2014.
Swedish container definition
|Declension of container|