This page has 5 definitions of commencement in English, French, and Middle French. Commencement is a noun. Examples of how to use commencement in a sentence are shown. Also define these 0 related words and terms: .
English commencement definition
- The first existence of anything; act or fact of commencing
- The time of Henry VII nearly coincides with the commencement of what is termed modern history.
- Synonyms: rise, origin, beginning, start, dawn
- 1800, William Took, View of the Russian empire during the reign of Catharine the Second:
- Yet from the commencement of mining there have been unnoble proprietors of mines, who belonged to the class of merchants.
- The day when degrees are conferred by colleges and universities upon students and others.
- A graduation ceremony, from a school, college or university.
- (graduation ceremony): convocation
French commencement definition
commencement m (plural commencements)
- “commencement” in Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
Middle French commencement definition
commencement m (plural commencemens)