connects valuable content, so you can get information rich.
- 1 English
- 2 Catalan
- 3 French
Here on this page are 11 definitions of augment in English, Catalan, Valencian, and French. Augment is a verb and noun. Examples of how to use augment in a sentence are given. The following 25 related words and terms are also defined: increase, large, supplement, grow, greater, music, slow, tempo, meter, interval, triad, step, chromatic, semitone, grammar, Indo-European, prefix, past tense, Bantu, rise, rising, widow, inherit, Middle French and augment.
English augment definition
Audio (AU) (file)
- Hyphenation: aug‧ment
- (transitive) To increase; to make larger or supplement.
- The money from renting out a spare room can augment a salary.
- (intransitive, reflexive) To grow; to increase; to become greater.
- (music) To slow the tempo or meter, e.g. for a dramatic or stately passage.
Meter definition(always meter) A device that measures things. (1 of 8 meter definitions)
- (music) To increase an interval, especially the largest interval in a triad, by a half step (chromatic semitone).
- (grammar, transitive) To add an augment to.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Dictionary:Entry layout#Translations.
augment (plural augments)
- (grammar) In some Indo-European languages, a prefix e- (a- in Sanskrit) indicating a past tense of a verb.
- (grammar) In some Bantu languages, an additional vowel prepended to the noun prefix.
Bantu definitionA member of any of the African ethnic groups that speak a Bantu language. (1 of 3 Bantu definitions)
- An increase.
- augment in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.
- augment in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- augment at OneLook Dictionary Search
Catalan augment definition
augment m (plural augments)
- increase, rise, rising
Rise definitionTo move, or appear to move, physically upwards relative to the ground.
- To move upwards. (1 of 27 rise definitions)
French augment definition
augment m (plural augments)
- (medieval law) part of the estates which the widow could inherit
- Est aussi conclud et accordé qu'au lieu de douaire dont l'on a accoustumé d'user en France, ladite dame Elisabeth aura pour augment le dot dudit mariage selon l'usage des pais du roy d'Espagne, 166,666 escus d'or sol deux tiers. (marriage contract of the prince of Spain and Ms Elisabeth of France) note: this quote is in Middle French.
Inherit definitionTo take possession of as a right (especially in Biblical translations). (1 of 8 inherit definitions)
Middle French definitionA historical division of the French language, spoken roughly from 1340 to 1610, during which French became established as the official language of France.
- (grammar) augment
- L'augment syllabique consiste en l’addition d’une syllabe ; l'augment temporel, dans le changement d’une brève en longue.