This page has 3 definitions of Scandinavian in English. Scandinavian is a noun and adjective. Also define these 10 related words and terms: Scandinavia, North Germanic, language, Swedish, Norwegian, Bokmål, Nynorsk, Danish, Icelandic, and Faeroese.
Scandinavian (plural Scandinavians)
- Someone from Scandinavia.
- Of or relating to Scandinavia.
- 2013 June 8, “Obama goes troll-hunting”, in The Economist, volume 407, number 8839, page 55:
- The solitary, lumbering trolls of Scandinavian mythology would sometimes be turned to stone by exposure to sunlight. Barack Obama is hoping that several measures announced on June 4th will have a similarly paralysing effect on their modern incarnation, the patent troll.
- (Of a language) Of or relating to the North Germanic family of languages to which Swedish, Norwegian (Bokmål, Nynorsk), Danish, Icelandic, and Faeroese belong.
Norwegian definitionA native of Norway. (1 of 3 Norwegian definitions)
Bokmål definitionOne of the two major written standards of Norwegian, literally meaning “book language”.
Icelandic definitionA North Germanic language, the national tongue of Iceland.
Faeroese definitionAlternative form of
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Dictionary:Entry layout § Translations.