- 1 English
- 2 Danish
- 3 Esperanto
- 4 Finnish
- 5 Italian
- 6 Polish
- 7 Portuguese
- 8 Spanish
This page has 11 definitions of Idaho with English translations in 8 languages. Idaho is a proper noun and noun. Also define these 0 related words and terms: .
English Idaho definition
Origin uncertain; possibly from Plains Apache ídaahȩ́́ (“Comanche”), though the Oxford English Dictionary states that the development of the state’s name from that word remains undocumented. The name Idaho was said to have been considered around 1860 for what was eventually called the Colorado Territory (now the state of Colorado) in 1861, and in 1863 was given to Idaho County (now part of Idaho); the county was named after a steamship launched on the Columbia River in 1860.
The eccentric political lobbyist George Maurice Willing, Jr. (c. 1829 – 1874) claimed to have coined the name after a girl named Ida, though saying it was a Shoshoni term meaning “gem of the mountains” (no such term exists), but evidence suggests that there was use of the name in Colorado pre-dating Willing’s arrival in the West in 1859.
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈaɪdəhəʊ/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈaɪdəˌhoʊ/
Audio (GA) (file)
- Hyphenation: Ida‧ho
- A state in the western United States. Capital and largest city: Boise.
- An unincorporated community in Pike County, Ohio, United States, named for Idaho Territory.
- University of Idaho
Idaho (plural Idahos)
- “Idaho, n.”, in OED Online
, Oxford, Oxfordshire: Oxford University Press, November 2010.
- ^ First mentioned in William O[sborn] Stoddard (8 December 1875) , “How Idaho was named”, in New-York Tribune, volume XXXV, issue 10,826, New York, N.Y.: Tribune Association, published 11 December 1875, OCLC 911366841, page 4, column 3.
Idaho on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- “Idaho, proper n.”, in Lexico, Dictionary.com; Oxford University Press, 2019–present.
Danish Idaho definition
Idaho (genitive Idahos)
Esperanto Idaho definition
Idaho (accusative Idahon)
|Nevado ∙ Utaho|
Finnish Idaho definition
- IPA(key): /ˈidɑho/, [ˈidɑɦo̞]
- IPA(key): /ˈɑi̯dɑho/, [ˈɑi̯dɑɦo̞]
- Rhymes: -idɑho
- Syllabification: I‧da‧ho
|Inflection of Idaho (Kotus type 1/valo, no gradation)|
|Possessive forms of Idaho (type valo)|
Italian Idaho definition
Polish Idaho definition
Idaho n (indeclinable)
- Idaho in Wielki słownik języka polskiego, Instytut Języka Polskiego PAN
- Idaho in Polish dictionaries at PWN
Portuguese Idaho definition
Spanish Idaho definition